Chocolate Espresso Glazed Donuts
Homemade donuts with cold-brew infused dark Blackout glaze... yes please! Thanks to The Movement Menu for working with us on this decadent recipe. Check out her blog for more yummy paleo recipes.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 120 ml ghee or coconut oil, melted
- 120 ml full fat canned coconut milk
- 170 g pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 68 g coconut flour
- 34 g tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup (180 g) Alter Eco Blackout bar, broken into chunks
- ½ cup (118 ml) coconut cream*
- 3 oz (85 ml) cold brew coffee
- ¼ cup (57 g) organic palm shortening
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) pure maple syrup
Coconut cream is the cream that has risen to the top of a can of full-fat coconut milk. You will need one can for every cup of coconut cream called for in the recipe. To get this cream, place coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight. I recommend using the brands: Thai Kitchen, Native Forest or Aroy-D.
Cook time: 12 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Adjust the oven rack to the middle position. Lightly grease a donut pan with extra ghee. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, ghee, coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Stir to incorporate until smooth throughout.
- Transfer the batter into a pastry bag or gallon-size plastic bag with a small corner cut off with scissors. Fill each donut cavity about 2/3 full with the batter. Tap the donut tray on the counter when finished to evenly distribute the batter. Bake at 350°F (177°C) for 10-12 minutes until the donuts are lightly browned throughout. You can use a toothpick to check the center; it should come out dry. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a double boiler or a microwave, melt the dark chocolate chunks. Once they have melted, transfer them into a small bowl and let them cool for 7-10 minutes.
Then, mix together coconut cream and cold brew coffee. Microwave for 45 seconds, until just coming to a boil. Pour this mixture into the melted chocolate, and let it sit for another 5 minutes. Add palm shortening, vanilla extract and maple syrup to the chocolate and blend with an immersion blender or in a high-speed blender until well combined.
Dip the tops of the donuts into chocolate-espresso glaze, and transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet. After you are finished dipping, let them sit in the refrigerator for 10 minutes before serving.