Chocolate & Brown Butter Banana Bread
Get creative with those overly ripe bananas sitting on the counter. Bananas and chocolate come together in a swirl of slightly-sweet gooey bread that is not only easy to make, but so decadently delicious.
- 1 bar Alter Eco Brown Butter chocolate
- 4 medium, very ripe bananas
- 150 g fair trade Mascobado Cane Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbs milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 113 g butter
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 204 g cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
Mascobado Caramel Sauce:
- 201 g Mascobado Cane Sugar
- 120 ml water
- 6 tbs butter, cubed
- 120 ml heavy cream
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 177 degrees C.
- Grease loaf pan with butter. Melt chocolate bar in a pan on low heat, or in a double boiler.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat eggs into butter and sugar mixture. Add vanilla extract and bananas. Beat until fully incorporated.
- Slowly stir milk into mixture until batter forms. Fold in melted Brown Butter chocolate bar. Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 55-65 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing.
Salted Mascobado Caramel Sauce
- Spread sugar in a large skillet or saucepan.
- Pour water over sugar and heat over medium-heat, swirling the pan very gently. (Just enough to moisten the sugar evenly with the water).
- As the sugar begins to cook, swirl the pan to ensure all sugar is melting. Continue cooking until sugar becomes dark brown, and just starts to smoke. Remove from heat.
- Whisk in cubes of butter until completely melted. Gradually whisk in cream, continually stirring until sauce is smooth.Tip: If spots of sugar still remain at the bottom of your pan, loosen with a spoon and return to low heat until completely melted.
- Let cool. Drizzle over warm banana bread.
- Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.